In the frame of the Castilla y León regional energy strategy for energy optimization and managing of its public buildings, has emerged this project with the colaboration of EREN, the Regional Energy Agency and the Regional Minister of Education, which objectives are reducing energy costs, and in parallel energy saving and avoiding CO2 emissions.
The project is supported by an on-line tool, developed with regional human resources, which allows adjusting resources efficiently and reducing energy consumption and expenditure. By the moment it has been included electrical contracts of 141 schools, with an estimated economical savings of 235.090 euros annually, and it is running a second phase in which 329 will be added.
The on-line tool run the automatic register of energy consumption from electrical contracts, optimizes automatically power capacities according their needs, detects mismatch and fraud by monitoring consumption and manage programmed energy warnings.
It is foreseen that at the end of the year savings over 335.000 euros will be reached, which means around the 8 % of the total electrical bills from Castilla y León public schools.
On the other hand the tool can facilitate the energy administrative tenders for Education Managing Departments, generating the first documents automatically, having control over the cost of the electric power consumed by the public school buildings. Currently tenders for 329 electrical contracts has been used the tool for a total of 4.078.914,52 euros of public procurement. With this tool are foreseen 15 % of savings from the total cost, which means around 610.000 euros.
From the management energy database have been obtained individualized energy reports by every school center, concerning its electricity supply points and consumption facilities that identify potential improvements such as change to an optimum tariff, new adaptation of the contracted power capacity, reducing power factor penalties, minimizing power consumption out of school hours, etc.
After that analysis of energy consumption and energy indicators, a potential energy savings of 30% have been detected in the school centers, which must be analyzed in detail through specific studies. After this second optimization analysis, it is expected to achieve a minimum savings of 12% in electrical bills, which together with the 8% previously mentioned, arrive to 20% of energy savings costs.
This is a pioneering initiative in Castilla y León and by the moment the database inventorying covers 15% from the whole electrical supply points as well as the control over electricity cost of the electrical consumption in the schools.
The project is being extended to other public buildings for regional ministers, Universities or local entities in the region.